Does an attorney have to represent a landlord in court for an eviction or hold over tenant?

No. In accordance to the Texas Property Code and Rules of Civil procedure, anyone can represent a landlord in an eviction case for nonpayment of rent or hold over in Justice of the Peace court. In some circumstances an authorized representative may appear in County Civil Court on behalf of a landlord.